This post contains affiliate links. We may receive a commission for purchases and bookings made through these links. Read more…
According to AAA, the national average price of regular gas per gallon in the US was up to $3.13 as of July 3, 2021. With COVID-19 restrictions being lifted, allowing us to at least partially resume summer travel, we are all affected by price increases. My first line of defense as I sought to save on gas has been to ditch one of the family vehicles in favor of ridesharing options. However, even with one vehicle, I am always looking for ways to better manage the family budget.
Whether you have an upcoming summer road trip planned, you have resumed working from the office, or you drive for Uber or Lyft, GetUpside can come to the rescue.
What is GetUpside?
GetUpside is an app that gives you cashback on purchases at participating gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants. I have now been using the app for close to 10 months, and I love it!
Pros – save on gas, enough said!
As of this writing, the app is free to download. It is also easy to set up and use, and you will be asked for minimal personal information – your email address and the first six and last four digits of the credit card you wish to use for purchases. The credit card information is necessary to identify your transactions.
You can get cashback for up to 25 cents-per-gallon and up to 15 percent of your grocery bill at participating gas stations and grocery stores. In addition, you can get up to 35 percent of your meal costs back at participating restaurants, not including tips and taxes.
Your cashback is deposited within a few days. In my case, I noticed that my cashback on gas purchases is deposited within 48 hours. Once your cashback is in your GetUpside account, the app offers multiple options for transferring the money.
And, if you use my invite code H4T9U, you will receive an extra 15 cents-per-gallon bonus for the first use. This is a total of up to 40 cents-per-gallon cashback on your first use!
In Metro Phoenix, where I live, only a few restaurants and no grocery stores participate in the network for now. For this reason, I have only used GetUpside to get cash back on gas purchases. However, I have noticed that the list of participating restaurants has grown to include some good options. I might try a few soon.
The app only offers cashback in the US at this time.
How can you save on gas using GetUpside?
As I mentioned, I have not used the app yet to save on groceries nor restaurants. As a result, in this article, I will only focus on how to save on gas. Follow these simple steps:
- Download and install the GetUpside app.
- Create your account: You can choose if you want to sign up with your Google, Facebook or Apple accounts. In addition, you get the options to set up an account using email.
- On the next screen: You should see my promotion code H4T9U pre-populated. If you don’t see it, manually type it in. This will guarantee that you receive the extra 15-cent bonus on your first fill-up. In addition, you will be asked to indicate your preferred gas type.
- The app will then ask for your permission to send you alerts. Make the selection that works for you.
- Click on the three stacked lines in the top left corner. This will open the left menu:
- Select “My Wallet” and then “Add a New Card”.
- The app only asks for the first six and last four digits of your credit card. This is necessary to track your transactions.
- Click “Save” after you have entered the required digits.
Now you are ready to save on gas!
Once you have set up your account, locate the best offer near you.
- The app will automatically search the area. However, to adjust the search area, you can move the map and click “Search This Area.”
- Then, locate the best offer near you.
- Click on the gas station offering the best overall price.
- Click “Claim.” Once you have claimed an offer, you have four hours to drive to the gas station you have chosen. Otherwise, the offer will expire.
- Once you have arrived, click “Check In”. Be sure to pay for the gas using the same credit card you saved earlier in your GetUpside wallet.
It is important to note that if you check in when you are not at the gas station or if GetUpside cannot determine your location, you must upload a copy of the receipt. It is a simple process, and the app will walk you through it.
- Lastly, you will receive an email from GetUpside confirming your cashback within two to three days. In the example below, I got $4.44 cashback by claiming an offer of 25 cents-per-gallon.
How do you cash-out?
There are multiple ways you can redeem your “cash” from GetUpside. My favorite is to get an Amazon gift card because I buy nonstop from Amazon. However, you can choose from many others including restaurants, the Apple App Store and home improvement stores.
Instead of digital gift cards, you can request that GetUpside transfer the funds to your bank or PayPal account.
Does GetUpside charge any fees to cash out? Glad you asked. Here is the fee structure, which I find to be very reasonable:
- Gift cards: There is no fee. However, some gift cards may have minimum thresholds.
- Bank transfer: $1 fee on bank transfers of amounts less than $10.
- PayPal: $1 fee on a cash-out of less than $15.
While I know the GetUpside cashback offers won’t make me rich, it has become part of my money-saving strategy.
Is the app worth it? After more than nine months of use, my answer is yes! It is easy to use, and with a few clicks, I am able to claim my cashback. I highly recommend it.
A few final thoughts:
- Instead of looking for the largest discount, look for the lowest price per gallon.
- Double dip! Maximize your savings by using a credit card that gives you cashback, points or miles. It is worth mentioning that the bonus you earn with these cards is on the full price you paid. Nice!
- When you refer your friends, you earn bonuses too.
Once you get the app and use it, I would love to hear your feedback. Please add it in the comments.
Want to get notified with similar articles?
Subscribe to receive similar articles sent to your email:
We won’t send you spam. We respect your privacy.