This post contains affiliate links. We may receive a commission for purchases and bookings made through these links. Read more…
| Jan 5 | Jan 12 | Jan 19 |
Welcome to the third weekly wrap-up of 2020. Read my intro in the first one to see how these came about.
1. In the News
- The 2020 U.S. News Best Countries report is out! This ranking is done annually by U.S. News & World Report, the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business and BAV Group. In this ranking, 73 countries were compared across multiple categories. This year, Switzerland, Canada, and Japan took the top three spots in the overall ranking. Read the full list: Overall Best Countries ranking
- I am baffled by this news! Why would anyone do this to a UNESCO World Heritage site?: Tourists to be deported over alleged damage, defecation at Machu Picchu.
- Airbus demonstrated the world’s first Autonomous Taxiing, Take-Off and Landing (ATTOL) system using an Airbus 350 aircraft. Watch the video in the tweet below and read more from Airbus about this technology: Is autonomy the future of aerial mobility?
Are you ready for a captain-less flight? Not sure I am ready, yet!
2. Blog Post of the Week
This week’s featured blog is by Marta Azra. In this article, Marta shares the important life lesson she learned last year.
“If you really need to plan something, then plan your happiness, wherever you go, whatever you do, whoever you love, and whatever and whoever you leave behind.”
3. Twitter Activity
3.1 Twitter Chat
On January 19, I participated in the weekly #PTTravel Twitter chat. I answered five out of six questions.
You can buy the Patagonia Nano Puff jacket from Amazon. This jacket is great for both men and women. It also makes a great gift.
For more details on the #PTTravel chat, read this blog post. Also, follow Kate Frankie on Twitter.
3.2 Tweet of the Week
This week, I would like to highlight this tweet by Scott Hefti. This time-lapse video of the Port of Amsterdam is mind-blowing. Watch it and let me know what you think.
4. Instagram Shout-out
This week’s Instagram shout-out goes to Abdul Momin. I had a hard time deciding which of his IG posts to feature – I like them all! Visit his profile to judge for yourself. His aerial drone shots of crop fields and men and women working are simply amazing.
5. Let’s Wrap it Up!
Let’s wrap it up with something I learned this week.
This week, I learned from Lola Åkerström, a travel writer and photographer. I learned about the power of asking “Why not?” The ‘aha moment’ for me was when she talked about the strategy of opening closed doors that we face every day:
- Having the courage to walk up to a closed door.
- Developing the code of understanding to open a closed door.
- Breaking the door by force if necessary.
Watch Lola’s powerful TEDx talk.
So long, until next week!
I would love to hear from you on this “It’s a Wrap!” weekly post. What did you like and what I could have done better? Please leave your feedback in a comment below.
Want to get notified with similar articles?
Subscribe to receive similar articles sent to your email:
We won’t send you spam. We respect your privacy.
I really like this week’s wrap-up. I totally agree with you, I am not ready for a captain-less flight. Not sure if I ever will be there. So loving your IG shout out as well!
Thank you Nina. I really appreciate you stopping by and your kind remarks.
Brilliant! thanks for sharing this! I feel absolutely inspired to restart our wrap up series that we started mid last year and let lapse!
Thank you. They are also fun to put together.